Sunday, March 3, 2013

In Defense of Christian Rock

 
 
my name is mandy and i love Christian alternative rock.
i am not 18 or a 'new' convert.
i'm a 32 yr. old homeschooling mom to 4.


 lately i have ran across several blogs and a homeschooling book, that warn against the 'evils' of modern Christian music, in particular, the harder rock music.
i am annoyed by this to be blunt.
one of the blog posts went as far as saying k-love {k-love?!} is taking away from the gospel and substituting mushy music for real faith.
to that i say hogwash.
do you have to like Christian rock?
absolutely not!
we all have tastes that vary.
i personally don't care for the Christian hip-hop K-love sometimes plays, and i don't like some of the super hard screaming like stuff, but i don't think it's wrong.
i just don't like it.


i've read that because it resembles the 'world's music' it is just a carbon copy of it with some Jesus thrown in.
that logic kind of baffles me.

i pondered all morning on how someone could possibly say that music with a loud, rockin' sound proclaiming Jesus could think that it is evil or of the world.
and i came up with the only comparison i could.
let's have a look at those loathed television evangelists.
they usually give me the heeby-geebies, i'll confess.
what generalizations could i make about them?
most of them to me water down the gospel, depress you and want your money.
this may or may not be true, but that's the gist of most complaint against them, correct?
so...if i really needed to weed through and see if they are genuinely honoring God, what would i do?
i would hold it up against the lens of God's word and filter it wouldn't i?
if it matches with God's word and doesn't mistreat it, no matter how much i don't like the preaching style,
i can't complain!
i can choose not to watch, i can even question their authenticity, but if what they say and do matches up with the gospel then it is honoring to the Lord! only He can judge the heart!

well, i believe the critics of 'hard' Christian music should be non-judgemental enough to do the same.
i am sure there are some Christian artists who are money hungry.
there may even be some wolves dressed as sheep.
we will see that anywhere.
but let's hold up some of the lyrics of 'questionable' Christian groups to the lens and filter of the word shall we?
in this home, we happen to really like Skillet, so i will pick one of theirs i'm very familiar with.
here is a video for the song Rebirthing:
 
 

 
 
 
       
and here are the Rebirthing lyrics:

by Skillet

Verse 1
I lie here paralytic inside this soul
Screaming for you till my throat is numb
I wanna break out
I need a way out
I don't believe that it's gotta be this way
The worst is the waiting
In this Womb I'm suffocating
Pre-Chorus
Feel your presence filling up my lungs with oxygen
I take you in
I've died
Chorus
Rebirthing now
I wanna live for love, wanna live for you and me
Breathe for the first time now I come alive somehow
Rebirthing now
I wanna live my life, wanna give you everything
Breathe for the first time now I come alive somehow
Right now
Right now
Verse 2
I lie here lifeless in this cocoon
Shedding my skin cause I'm ready to
I wanna break out
I found a way out
I don't believe that it's gotta be this way
The worst is the waiting
In this Womb I'm suffocating
Pre-Chorus
Feel your presence filling up my lungs with oxygen
I take you in
I've died
Chorus
Rebirthing now
I wanna live for love, wanna live for you and me
Breathe for the first time now I come alive somehow
Rebirthing now
I wanna live my life, wanna give you everything
Breathe for the first time now I come alive somehow
(I come alive somehow)
Bridge
Tell me when I'm gonna live again
Tell me when I'm gonna breathe you in
Tell me when I'm gonna feel inside
Tell me when I'm gonna feel alive
Tell me when I'm gonna live again
Tell me when this fear will end
Tell me when I'm gonna feel inside
Tell me when I'll feel alive
Chorus
Rebirthing now
I wanna live for love, wanna live for you and me
Breathe for the first time now I come alive somehow
Rebirthing now
I wanna live my life, wanna give you everything
Breathe for the first time now I come alive somehow
(I come alive somehow)
Right now (I come alive somehow)
Right now (I come alive somehow)
 
 
hmmm, let's see.
crying out to God from the depths of his soul for God to come in and fill him up when he is wasting away in the flesh.
sounds to me like a hint of David's psalms as he sat in the cave awaiting the evil of saul's army.
and FYI, my hubby has been to one of their concerts that was full of prayer and praise!
all glory given back to the Savior!
if you'd like a taste of their 'softer' side, check out the song Lucy, which is about the regrets and ramifications of abortion.  an amazingly, beautifully sad song that gives a hugely pro-life message.
i know, totally evil, right?
 
if you don't like the half-screaming lyrics that's fine, don't listen to it ever again!
but you can't tell me that their music is evil.
are they always blatantly Christian?
nope, just like Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, you sometimes have to scratch the surface to find the Truth.
But Truth it is.
and i don't know about anyone else, but my spirit doesn't always feel sing-songy.
sometimes my spirit is crying out to God with everything i am, and to me, that's what Christian rock encompasses more than anything.
whether it be a praise song, or a prayer song, or a song about the pains of this world,
it's a crying out to the Heavenly Father!
 
 
here's another one for you to flavor by a new group, who is quite possibly my new favorite next to NeedtoBreathe.
this is the Rhett Walker Band, and as he is new, he doesn't yet have any videos, but here is his song with the lyrics.
um, DRIPPING with the gospel.
p.s. all of his music is fantastic.
as in, i've played it for the last week straight and am not sick of it.
 
 
let's hit one more 'alternative' christian band for the sake of variety, shall we?
this is seventh day slumber performing surrender:
oh sheesh!
just because they play their guitar a little loud and hit their drums with gusto should we label them unholy?
for goodness sakes, let's have their lyrics:


 I'm giving You my heart
And all that is within
I lay it all down
For the sake of You my King
I'm giving you my dreams
I'm laying down my rights
I'm giving up my pride
For the promisse of new life

And I surrender all to You
All to You
And I surrender all to You
All to You

I'm singing You this song
I'm waiting at the cross
And all the world holds dear
I count it all as loss
For the sake of knowing You
For the glory of Your name
To know the lasting joy
Even sharing in Your pain
 
i even read a blog that criticized Third Day.
i am sure they are familiar enough to not need to post their work, but really!
those guys LOVE the Lord, their songs are all praise.
at their concert, it was prayer and praise and worship.
 
i believe the Bible allows us amazing freedom within Christ,
and i believe that as long as we walk within the boundaries of His word we are FREE to honor Him as we wish.
For Heaven's sakes, if this music makes you feel dirty, if it tempts you to listen to music that is ungodly, don't listen!
But please don't tell other Christians that it is 'evil' or dishonoring to the Lord.
Some of us are in seasons of falling to our knees in worship, some of us stand with arms high in praise. both are worshiping our God.
 
Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.~psalms 98:4
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Shannan Martin said...

Honestly? I had NO idea this "issue" was still so hot in "Christian" culture today! I thought everyone got past this like 10 years ago??? I am aghast!

Cory and I left a church years ago because we discovered they held this position. Don't even get me started!!!! (I'm about to get started... haha.)

In closing, I officially love you. :)

ps - I listened to Toad the Wet Sprockett, Cranberries, Mumford & Sons, and Counting Crows on the way to church. Just FYI. :)

Blog Archive