Monday, September 12, 2011

eating well...my conclusions.




so i've been on a mission.
the mission to come up with a healthier lifestyle.
between my husband's Crohn's disease, some random health issues with myself
(not to mention being about 50 lbs over my 'normal' weight),
i am on a mission to find healthier alternatives.


i should mention,
that i tend to get carried away by new ideas and hit them full fledged...
only to slack by 3 weeks in.
so as i have bookmarked a billion sites/blogs/books to buy, etc, on this get healthy mission,
i have also prayed about it.
i believe God truly does want us to keep our bodies His temple.
this means limiting foods that are not good for us and being wise with our choices.

i would say we are a somewhat 'in the middle' family.
we aren't super healthy,
we indulge in fast food here and there, and eat desserts.
i drink sodas (regular-diet makes me sick) on occasion but not everyday.

on the other hand, i always avoided prepackaged foods, overly processed stuff, and hydrogenated oils.
(even back in the beginning of our marriage before it was 'cool' ;))

i buy boxed cereal, but only cheerios or cinnamon life.
the only 'boxes' i buy are the occasional kraft mac n cheese (for my once a month bunco night, the kids love it with hamburger), and crackers.


so as i jumped into learning more, i have found so many articles and things i want to try.
we tried to drink Kumbocha-(YUCK!)
i got the recipe to make my own fish crackers.
i looked into buying my own wheat grinder (spendy!).



and then it hit me.


this is all good for us.
it is wise.
but at the same time, it should NOT be allowed to dominate our lives.
i would still love to grind my own wheat one day.
i still plan on even healthier meals.
and i may still make my own crackers.

but,
i will give myself a break.
i have made the decision to continue to buy fish crackers until pepperidge farms dissolves.
otherwise they would meet certain immediate bankruptcy, we can't be responsible for that now can we?
i will still allow my kids their boxed mac'n cheese night once a month.
i may even crack open a coke still on occasion.

but i will do it all in moderation.
and i will honor God with our health.

without going extreme while i'm juggling so many other balls.
( i just reread this post.  um, let's just leave that alone shall we?  ;))

what are your thoughts on healthy eating?

blessings,
mandy
p.s.  nourishing traditions is still in my amazon cart ;)

(the kids enjoying their smores while camping Labor day weekend.)

2 comments:

Kris Mays said...

NT is at our library, I believe, if you haven't checked it out, yet.

Kara said...

I echo these sentiments! We are making baby steps but it doesn't dominate our lives at all. It like all things can become an idol. I really like these two blogs, http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/
and http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/ both are really helpful and balanced I think!

Blog Archive